The Forums @ Wolf-Net Forum Index The Forums @ Wolf-Net
Public and private forums for animal rescue groups.

AlbumAlbum  HomeHome   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dog Profiling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Forums @ Wolf-Net Forum Index -> General Any Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
huskymania
Gamma Wolf

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:07 pm    Post subject: Dog Profiling Reply with quote

Below is a copy of an email I sent to the Arizona Republic in response to their article. The article was in the Friday, Nov. 9 issue. I don't know that they'll print my "letter", but at least it made me feel better to write it! There was a lot more I could have said, but I tried to keep it relatively short. If it's too long, I'm sure the paper wouldn't bother with it.
----------------------------------------------------------

Friday's paper had an article about shelter dogs and the life-or-death test they are put through. The article also contained a list of breeds which "have a tendency to exhibit aggression:"... The list included, among others, Chows, Dobermans, Pit Bulls, Rottweilers and Siberian Huskies. First of all, stereotyping any breed should be looked at or considered the same as racial profiling in human beings. It's just wrong. Each individual, dog or human, should be judged on his/her own merits. While a breed of dog that originated as a type of guard dog (e.g., Akitas) could be looked at as having a tendency toward aggression, it's still about the individual dog, its breeding and upbringing. I have had a Doberman-German Shepherd mix, a purebred German Shepherd and most recently, several Siberian Huskies. They have all been wonderful, loving, trustworthy dogs. In fact, if you're going to have a list of potentially aggressive breeds, I find it almost laughable - if it weren't so sickening and heartbreaking - to include Siberians on such a list. The typical Siberian LOVES people, especially children. They are not in the slightest guard dogs. Whenever mine hear a doorbell they run to the front door hoping someone has come to visit them. They are extremely social. This does not mean, however, they are an easy breed to own. They require an experienced dog person because they are so highly intelligent and independent minded. They can also be possessive of their food or a particular toy. It's a game for them. It is not aggression in the true sense of the word. Unfortunately, this is what gets them in trouble with the Humane Society. They think the dogs are aggressive and it is better to kill them than to give them a chance. I know this because two of mine were on their kill list as being aggres sive. Thank God the Arizona Siberian Husky Rescue group saved them. And I was lucky enough to adopt them. They are both wonderful, sweet, loving dogs and I have a healthy, happy pack of three.

This is what people need to know. Don't stereotype a dog because he is a certain breed. Find out who the dog really is. And don't ever turn a dog over to the Humane Society or Animal Control Twisted Evil if you want them to live. There are no guarantees with either of them. If you have a dog - or a cat, or some other small animal - that you simply can't keep, contact a breed or other rescue group for help (you can find them online). That way you know the animal won't be killed and it will eventually get a good home. And better yet, if you are a pet lover, consider fostering. It can be so rewarding knowing you helped save a life and helped them get to their "forever home". Very Happy
parisistack
Alpha Wolf

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well said Lindsey! I hope that this is published. Jill
ann
Alpha Wolf

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too. I think it's excellent. There has been a lot of discussion about this article among the rescue groups. In an interview with Kim Noetzel on KTAR. rescue groups were referred to as "Dog Nazis". The context was a mention of the Ellen Degeneris situation, but Kim Noetzel snapped the term right up and kept using it in the interview.

Last edited by ann on Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
parisistack
Alpha Wolf

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent your article to a contact I have at the Republic - Ahwatukee section (Colleen Sparks). Also called her and asked to see what she could do. Recommended an article be written from the feedback they received from the (I'm sure) many rescue groups and individuals defending their breeds. Jill
PS: She asked if you sent the response to the opinions section, but I wasn't sure.
Pam
Alpha Wolf

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not computer savy enough to put the article link here for anyone else that wants to read it. Great Reply.

John and Pam
huskymania
Gamma Wolf

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the positive feedback. I did send it to the Opinions email address. This section appears on the editorial page. I can't believe rescue groups being referred to as "dog Nazis". Shows how ignorant they are because THEY are the NAZIS Darth Vader . They're (Humane Society/Animal Control) the ones who put them to death...... I hope the rescue groups do something to respond en masse!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Forums @ Wolf-Net Forum Index -> General Any Topic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: